Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Let's talk more about weird habits

I've mentioned before, I think, that one of the quickest and easiest ways to loose hope in humankind is to start reading the comments on varied youtube videos. If you can keep it up for more than an hour or two without having your thoughts moving towards self-destruct-mode when you start to realise that you actually share the planet with these people, congratulations, you have a stronger mind than me.

But, since a part of my brain obviously have a masochistic side, this is something I still do from time to time. The most recent time enlightened me about yet another weird hobby for some people. Ok, so the story from the beginning; Apparently this cinema in Nottingham was supposed to show Madagaskar 3, but as the movie started playing it turned out to be Paranormal Activity 4, a movie targeted towards a slightly different demografic audience. According to the journalist, chaos ensued. That's actually beside the point. What I came across when I started my dangerous activity of reading the comments to the article, I came upon all these guys (beccause it's for some reason almost only guys) that feel the need to tell the world that they absolutley watched all the scary horror movies when they where five years old and that they thought it was a hoot and a half. Yawn. Myself, I believe, stood with the majority of kids in that age in that scaring me wasn't exactly something you had to work hard on achieving. At five years old, the traditional BOO! would send me screaming nine times out of ten.

Nothing strange about that, those kind of comments and those kind of people are everywhere. But it also got me thinking about forums that I've read through when searching for good horror movies. It so appears that these people that apparently couldn't care less about murder, gore and sadistic killers when they where five still watches these kind of movies and still talk about how nothing scare them. Now I can to some degree understand the need to tell the rest of the world that the horror movie to actually scare me has not been made, nor will it ever be. But the practice of continuously watching horror movies that does not scare you... Isn't that kind of like a person completley devoid of any kind of humour dedicating their life to watching comedy just to be able to tell people they have no sense of humour?

If you cannot be scared from anything fictional on a tv or moviescreen, doesn't that make every single minute spent in front of a horror movie something akin to the most pointless usage of your time like... ever? Thoughts?

No comments: